Claiming your state pension online is pretty simple. Here we will show you exactly what you need to do.
To claim your State Pension online you must meet the following conditions:
- be claiming for yourself
- be within four months of State Pension age, or older
- not want to defer your State Pension
- have a National Insurance number
- have a UK bank, building society or Post Office card account
- not be receiving, or be in the process of claiming Graduated Retirement Pension, War Widow’s or Widower’s Pension, Bereavement Benefit, Carer’s Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, Income Support, Industrial Death Benefit, Industrial Injuries Disablement Allowance, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Pension Credit or Severe Disablement Allowance
Information you must have to complete your application:
- your National Insurance number
- your current address and postcode, plus your last two addresses
- your tax reference number (you can find this on HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) forms P45 or P60, or any letter you’ve received from HMRC about tax)
- if you’re married or in a civil partnership (or have been in the past), you will need to confirm your husband, wife or civil partner’s details (this includes their National Insurance number and the date of your marriage or civil partnership)
- if you’re divorced or widowed, your civil partnership has dissolved or you’re a surviving civil partner, you’ll need to confirm the date you were divorced or widowed
- details of any social security benefits or entitlements that you or your husband, wife or civil partner are getting or waiting to hear about
- the address of any employer you’ve worked for in the last two years, and the dates you worked for them
- if you’ve ever lived or worked abroad, you should confirm your social security number and the dates you were abroad
- an account number where you want your State Pension paid
To claim your state pension online go to GOV.UK claim state pension online.
Check your state pension using SecureIdentity and GOV.UK
Just want to check the state pension you’re already claiming? The quickest and easiest way to do this is by using the SecureIdentity Simple-Sign-In app. It’ll take no more than 10 to 15 minutes to complete the process.