Tax returns and other Government services have gone digital, which can be daunting for some people, especially the elderly, disabled, infirm or vulnerable who may be reluctant to go online themselves.
You can help friends and family access the Government services they need online by becoming a “trusted helper”.
A trusted helper can:
- confirm that their friend or family member’s Income Tax assessment is correct
- update or check their friend or family member’s personal tax account
- claim their friend or family member’s tax refund
- check their friend or family member’s company car tax
Here’s how it works
If you already have a SecureIdentity just use your Simple Sign-in app to login. If you don’t already have a SecureIdentity you can create one in 10 to 15 minutes. Just choose SecureIdentity when you’re asked to select a certified company to verify your identity at GOV.UK Verify).
After verifying your identity, you’ll need the following details for each individual that you will be helping:
- first name and surname
- date of birth
- National Insurance number
The person that you are helping will need to verify their identity on GOV.UK Verify. They will have to sign in to their account and accept you as a ‘trusted helper’.
Remember that even if you are helping someone with their tax, they are still responsible for their own taxes.